The Association of Research Libraries Position Description Bank (ARL PD Bank) is a collection of position descriptions (PDs) from major academic and research libraries. The ARL PD Bank was developed over the first year and just left the early beta process.
Today, this afternoon of April 18, the ARL PD Bank had it’s 500th position entered into the live site (and this is with people in the practice site, others doing trainings and demos, and still others getting scheduled for getting into the process). Currently, there are:
- 482 full time and 18 part time positions
- 145 Professional Librarian, 21 Other Professional, 194 exempt Support or Paraprofessional, and 140 nonexempt Support or Paraprofessional positions
Represented Functional Areas included:
- Access Services
- Archiving/Curatorial/Rare Books
- Branch/Unit/Department Management
- Cataloging/Bibliographic Control/Metadata
- Clerical/Administrative Support
- Collection Development/Management
- Communications/Public Information
- Data Curation
- Digital Services
- Distance Learning
- Document Delivery
- Electronic Resources
- GIS Systems/Data
- Grants Management
- Human Resources/Organizational Development
- Information Technology/Systems
- Integrated Library System
- InterLibrary Loan
- Media/Multi-Media Specialist
- Outreach Services
- Scholarly Communication/Copyright
- Senior Management
- Shared Collections
- Subject Specialist
As Brian Keith stated earlier today:
Given this early point in the launch of this system, I am confident this represents the tip of the iceberg for content.
While it’s just the tip of the iceberg, this is all structured, co-located, cross-searchable content in the ARL PD Bank, and it’s certain to be useful for HR researchers like Brian as well as for my own interests in seeing where academic librarianship is going in terms of new roles and opportunities for those engaged in digital humanities, digital scholarship, data curation, and more.
This is exciting news to share! I look forward to sharing more milestones for the ARL PD Bank in the near future!