Florida State University Libraries
Lead Developer Assistant In or Associate In
(rank to be based on qualifications)
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced developer to join a growing team in the area of Digital Scholarship and Technology at Florida State University Libraries as Lead Developer. The successful applicant will have programming responsibilities for the library’s website, the digital library, the Institutional Repository, as well as general programming needs that arise. It is anticipated that this new area in the Florida State University Libraries will evolve into a larger programming and web development team over time. As the Lead Developer, this position will be responsible for leading the programming and web development team and will report to the Associate Dean for Digital Scholarship and Technology Services.
- Provides programming/scripting for technical development and maintenance of the library website, digital library applications, Aleph ILS and other systems as needed.
- Works closely with members of the library faculty and staff to identify and help solve unmet needs. Implements new tools, user interfaces, and applications in a variety of programming languages.
- Responsible for the administration of the Library’s website, which will involve planning and implementing a move to Drupal.
- Responsible for supervision of one full time librarian. May also include supervision of graduate assistants, student workers, and new full-time permanent positions as projects evolve.
- Advises on selection and lead’s the technical implementation of a new digital library platform, transitioning from DigiTool.
- Develops other library applications as needed, i.e. computer availability maps, stacks maps, etc.
- Participates in goal setting and project planning, including the development and implementation of grant proposals.
- BS in computer science, information systems or a related field.
- 4+ years of post-degree experience as a programmer/developer.
- Demonstrated experience managing a Drupal web environment.
- Ability to manage source code in a revision control system such as Subversion or Git.
- Experience with Fedora, DSpace or similar digital library/IR environments.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Two years of progressively responsible team leadership or management experience in an information environment.
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities, including the documentation of code.
- Experience working in an academic library, digital library or web environment.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Library/Information Science or related field.
- 2+ years in managing a Drupal web environment.
- 2+ years working in a Digital Library development environment.
- Five or more years of progressive supervisory or management experience.
- Knowledge of metadata schemas such as Dublin Core, METS, MODS, PREMIS, RDF.
- Grant writing/management.
This is a full-time, 12-month non-tenured faculty appointment. Benefits include 22 days vacation, 13 days sick leave, group medical, dental, and life insurance, an optional retirement program or state retirement, and no state or local income tax. With supervisor’s approval, may qualify for University tuition scholarship for up to six hours credit each semester. A full listing of benefits can be found at http://hr.fsu.edu/index.cfm?page=FacultyStaff_homepage.
Located in beautiful Tallahassee, Florida’s capital city, a growing community with a population of more than 357,000, the Florida State University, a public, coeducational institution of the 11-member State University System of Florida, has an enrollment of over 40,000 students. The Library system includes ten libraries and a variety of subject based Library Resource Reading Rooms. Campus libraries have combined volume holdings totaling over 3 million volumes. The Library is a member of ARL, ASERL, CRL, OCLC, and Lyrasis. For more information about the Florida State University Libraries, see our home page at: http://www.lib.fsu.edu/
SALARY: Minimum starting salary – $65,000.
Policia Clyne, Library Human Resources
Florida State University Libraries
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2047
Phone: (850) 645-8404
Fax: (850) 644-5016
How To Apply : If qualified and interested in the position as advertised, please apply through the Florida State University job site at https://jobs.fsu.edu. (Job ID # 33638)
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. In one attachment, please include a cover letter with a complete statement of qualifications, a full resume of education and relevant experience, and the names, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of at least three persons who are knowledgeable about your qualifications for this position.
Applications must include work history and all education details (if applicable) even if attaching a resume.