MPublishing, the University of Michigan’s library-based publishing enterprise, is seeking applications for a Publishing Services and Outreach Librarian. This is a full-time, two-year term appointment with the possibility of renewal. We seek an energetic and motivated person who is passionate and curious about the changing scholarly publishing environment, and thinks progressively about how libraries can meet these challenges. The successful candidate will be a creative, service-oriented, and skilled communicator interested in working as part of a team in a dynamic library-based publishing environment. The Publishing Services and Outreach Librarian will report to the Head of Publishing Services, Outreach & Strategic Development for MPublishing.
MPublishing provides academic publishing services that are responsive to the needs of scholars, and that foster a sustainable economic model for academic publishing. MPublishing educates and advises the University of Michigan community on copyright and publishing matters, and advocates for the broadest possible access to scholarly communication everywhere. Combining the strengths and talents of librarians, publishers, and technologists, MPublishing is composed of the following units: University of Michigan Press, Deep Blue, Copyright Office, the Text Creation Partnership, Digital Publishing Production, Publishing Services & Outreach, Library Print Services, and Publishing Technology.
Coordinate Publishing Services:
- As part of a team, coordinate the management, enhancement, and ongoing assessment of existing digital publishing services and programs, including journals, conference proceedings, and monographs
- Assist with the creation of new publishing services by conducting research, interviews, surveys, and focus groups, as well as by researching and assessing emerging technologies and innovative services
- Field requests for information, respond to questions about MPublishing services, and provide consultations with faculty, students and staff
- Develop and manage information resources and documentation about MPublishing services, contemporary digital scholarly publishing options, and scholarly communication issues for the community
- Improve processes and workflows for tracking publishing consultation and referrals, and measure effectiveness
- In consultation with the head of MPublishing Services and managers of MPublishing units, creatively and effectively communicate the breadth and depth of MPublishing services and publishing activities to faculty, researchers, graduate students, and librarians at U-M and beyond
- Raise awareness and visibility of the services and products of MPublishing by helping to plan, develop, and execute outreach campaigns and materials, and assess the effectiveness of these campaigns
- Manage and create content for MPublishing website & blog; coordinate the activities of the blog team
- Use social media effectively and professionally to promote MPublishing services and products
- Explore and identify opportunities to partner with librarians and others on campus to expand our message and recruit users to our services
- Provide assistance with management and outreach for ongoing digital publishing initiatives such: Open Humanities Press, digitalculturebooks, and the Journal of Electronic Publishing
- Collaborate with other departments in MPublishing on special projects
- Assist in developing proposals for external funding to facilitate publishing services infrastructure development and needs assessment
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in information science, or equivalent combination of relevant advanced degree and experience
- Familiarity with scholarly publishing practices and methods, and how they function in the university environment, including its culture and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate in a professionally diverse environment
- Experience with web-based publishing, presentation tools, spreadsheets, and various media types
- Demonstrated ability to analyze problems and implement effective and efficient solutions
- Ability to work independently, prioritize among multiple projects, and meet deadlines
- 1-2 years working experience with scholarly communication, outreach, or related field
- Experience with tools and methods for web-based publishing and web design in the context of higher education; WordPress or other open source platforms preferred
- Experience with project management
- 1-2 years experience with graphic design software such as Adobe Creative Suite
BENEFITS, RANK, and SALARY
It is anticipated that the position will be filled at the Assistant Librarian level; final rank and salary are dependent on experience and qualifications. Professional positions receive 24 days of vacation a year and 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel. Further information regarding benefits can be found at http://benefits.umich.edu/benefitgroups/faculty.html.
RETIREMENT OPTIONS: TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments options available.
Email a cover letter and resume as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Jane Havens, Head of Library Human Resources, 404 Hatcher Graduate Library North, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1190. For further information, please call 734-764-2546.
Review of applications will begin April 8, 2011 and continue until the position is filled.