The Georgia Tech Library & Information Center is seeking applications for a Digital Initiatives Librarian position reporting to the Head of Scholarly Communication and Digital Services. We seek a technical, service-oriented person interested in digital library services and technologies that support the management of locally created scholarly content. Responsibilities include:
- Providing leadership in the management, enhancement, and ongoing assessment of existing and future digital publishing services, which currently include online journals and conference proceedings support;
- Providing project management and oversight of technical operations;
- Coordinating and/or performing quality control, workflow design and analysis, software training, copyright assistance, metadata maintenance, and production and post-production services;
- Formulating policies and business models and drafting clear and appropriate documentation for staff or the general public about functions, procedures, services and/or systems;
- Serving as the primary liaison to publishing customers and campus partners;
- Creating opportunities to engage with stakeholders in the development of services;
- Actively seeking out new content, users, and partnerships;
- Exploring and implementing emerging technologies and innovative services;
- Participating as an active team member in the development of scholarly communication tools and services;
- Providing outreach to campus on scholarly communication issues and the library’s digital services.
Required: MLS from an ALA accredited program; significant knowledge of scholarly communication issues and current digital library trends, technologies, standards and best practices; proficiency in one or more major descriptive metadata standards: EAD, METS, MODS, PREMIS, Dublin Core, or others; demonstrated ability to plan, initiate, and implement effective programs, projects, and services; strong commitment to enhancing service through teamwork and responsiveness to clients; evidence of excellent communication and interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects; ability to work enthusiastically, independently, as well as collaboratively, in a rapidly changing environment; demonstrated leadership abilities; evidence of interest in professional activities.
Preferred: Background in information technology or related field; academic library experience; 2-3 years experience creating and managing digital collections; knowledge of web client and server applications, databases, Web programming environments, HTML, CSS, XML, XSLT, and scripting languages; familiarity with programming in an XML environment; experience with the open source community, philosophy and LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP/Python/Perl) tools; experience with and/or administrator knowledge of DSpace and PKP software suite; experience creating and editing a variety of digital media formats; supervisory experience.
For more information, go to http://www.library.gatech.edu/about/jobs.php#dil