The announcement below is from the Humanist Discussion email list.
TITLE: DIRECTOR OF SCHOLARLY COMMUNICATION AND DIGITAL INITIATIVES, AMERICAN HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
FLSA STATUS: Exempt (reports to Executive Director)
LOCATION: Washington, D.C. office, with some travel
SUMMARY: The Director of Scholarly Communication and Digital Initiatives will oversee the AHA’s communications with members and other constituencies. This includes print and digital publishing, web design, information management, and membership – all part of a strategy to enable the American Historical Association’s programs and activities to take maximum advantage of the new digital environments in which historians work. The AHA seeks a scholar with the skills and vision to help lead the development of the AHA as the nation’s most important hub for the work of professional historians in the 21st century.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Play leadership role for team developing new research, communication, networking, job market, and other professional tools for historians via a full-service AHA digital environment;
- Oversee all communication relating to AHA membership activities, and AHA digital and print publications (not including American Historical Review);
- Supervise (directly or indirectly) seven staff members;
- Serve as liaison to the business operations of the American Historical Review; oversee AHA relationships with publishers; provide expertise on issues relating to scholarly publishing;
- Coordinate the efforts of the AHA’s governing Council and standing committees, including working with the Executive Director to organize Council activities;
- Oversee all information technology purchases, maintenance, and staffing/consultant support;
- Represent the Association in meetings and activities relevant to areas of responsibility;
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS/KEY ATTRIBUTES:
- Doctoral degree in history or related field;
- Administrative experience;
- Knowledgeable about the wide variety of software and digital tools relevant to the work of historians, with a strategic sense of the ways these can synergize with each other;
- Sophisticated understanding of issues relating to continuing evolution of digital communication, publication, and networking environments;
- Well organized with the ability to juggle multiple projects and responsibilities;
- Clear, graceful, and effective written and oral communication skills;
SALARY/BENEFITS: Salary commensurate with qualifications. Benefits package includes competitive medical and life insurance and a qualified pension plan.
DATE POSTED: April 2, 2013. Applications review will begin May 3, 2013, and continue until filled.
PREFERRED START DATE: Summer 2013
APPLICATION: Apply at https://secure.interfolio.com/apply/21446