The full position vacancy announcement is on the UF Libraries website. I’m very excited and very much looking forward to getting a great new colleague in this position. Agricultural Sciences are incredibly dynamic at UF and connect with and through everything UF does as a public, land-grant institution.
UF understands its core identity as a public, land-grant institution and we all celebrate it together, including the 100th anniversary of IFAS Extension earlier this week. Also, please note that the ALA-MLS/MIS/MLIS or equivalent does mean just that. I’m a librarian at UF with a PhD and I do not have a library degree.
POSITION VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
POSITION: Agricultural Sciences and Digital Initiatives Librarian
RANK: Assistant University Librarian
REPORTS TO: Chair, Marston Science Library
SALARY: Minimum Salary $46,417. Actual salary will reflect selected professional’s experience and credentials
REQUISITION #: 0905467
DEADLINE DATE: June 2, 2014 – review of applications will begin on May 19, 2014
Please note that this posting has specific instructions for the submission of application materials – see our website at: http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/pers/careers.htm or the APPLICATION PROCESS section below for further details. Failure to submit the required documents may result in the application not being considered.
The Marston Science Library at the University of Florida seeks a creative and service-oriented liaison librarian for the agricultural sciences. The Agricultural Sciences and Digital Initiatives Librarian is a tenure track library faculty position. Responsibilities include providing reference assistance, instruction, outreach, and collection management to support programs dependent upon the agricultural sciences, as well as working closely with the Marston Science Library Chair to identify and manage digital preservation projects. A key element of the assignment is the identification of digitization initiatives related to the preservation of the agricultural record. This position is the departmental liaison for digitization and coordinates digitization projects working closely with the Digital Production Services department. The librarian works collaboratively in group efforts and maintains professional relationships with faculty, students and colleagues.
The library encourages staff participation in reaching management decisions and consequently the Agricultural Sciences and Digital Initiatives Librarian will serve on various committees and teams. To support all students and faculty and foster excellence in a diverse and global society, the Agricultural Sciences and Digital Initiatives Librarian will be expected to include individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, genders, and perspectives in work activities. The Agricultural Sciences and Digital Initiatives Librarian will pursue professional development opportunities, including research, publication, and professional service activities in order to meet library-wide criteria for tenure and promotion.
- Serves as liaison to departments within the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS), potentially with special emphasis on the plant sciences.
- Coordinates digitization projects for the sciences with emphasis on agriculture. Serves as a liaison to the UF Digital Services Unit. Works closely with the Marston Chair to identify and manage digital preservation projects.
- Participates in the provision of reference desk, reference chat, and email reference services.
- Participates in science collection management program. Selects and evaluates subject-based materials, works with faculty in selecting materials to support their academic and research programs.
- Participates in instruction programs using traditional classroom methods and educational technologies.
- Participates in campus data support service initiatives, providing services to and representing the needs of, faculty, staff, and students within IFAS.
- Participates in planning, policy formation and departmental decision making related to science services, collections and new technologies.
- Contributes to the library’s planning effort through membership on University and Library committees and other consultative bodies as appropriate.
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA accredited library school, or advanced degree in agricultural sciences field.
- Strong background and/or interest in agriculture and/or the plant sciences.
- Strong commitment to user-focused service within a culturally diverse user community of faculty, students, administrators and the general public.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and enthusiasm for the integration of new technologies into the delivery of information services.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Initiative, flexibility, and the ability to adapt and work creatively in a complex, rapidly changing academic environment
- Strong potential for meeting the requirements of tenure and promotion outlined at http://library.ufl.edu/cdh
- Subject area background (coursework, degree, or work experience) in agricultural sciences field
- Two years working in a library.
- Experience working with digital initiatives (digitization projects) and/or experience working with tools and technologies related to data management
- Strong presentation skills.
- Experience with managing library collections
- Experience with/demonstrated enthusiasm for instruction
- Experience with web-based instructional tools
- Record of including individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, genders, and perspectives in research, teaching, service and other work
See the full position announcement for information on awesome UF ism along with the Marston Science Library, the UF Smathers Libraries overall, and the Gainesville community, along with information on benefits and how to apply.