The job posting below is for FSU Libraries for an Associate Dean for Digital Scholarship & Technology Services. This will be an amazing job working with wonderful folks at FSU and collaborating with folks at other related institutions, like UF (where I am) and the Florida Center for Library Automation (both are in Gainesville). UNF in Jacksonville is also quite close, and even the more geographically distant universities are all frequent and friendly collaborators.
Florida State University Libraries
Associate Dean for Digital Scholarship and Technology Services
(rank to be based on qualifications)
The FSU Libraries seek an innovative, experienced information professional to work with a variety of constituencies at a major research university to (1) provide high-quality digital information services, (2) develop a robust institutional repository and other tools that support digital scholarship, (3) encourage innovation in digital scholarship, (4) provide leadership on scholarly communication issues through broad-based solutions that work in a diverse, fast-paced academic environment.
Reporting to the Dean of University Libraries and serving on the Senior Management Team, the Associate Dean (AD) for Digital Scholarship and Technology Services, along with colleagues in the Libraries and throughout the university, will refine the Libraries’ vision for information technology, with a focus on enhancing services. The ideal candidate will be intellectually curious, committed to continuous learning, and enthusiastic about contributing to the University’s research and teaching missions.
- Act as chief coordinator for technology for FSU’s central libraries, working closely with libraries in the Colleges of Law, Medicine, Music and Communication and Information to develop and maintain an efficient, strategic, well-coordinated technology environment
- Provide oversight for the development of FSU’s Institutional Repository by coordinating activities of key library staff and others engaged in digital scholarship throughout the university
- Build and maintain relationships with partners such as FSU’s Information Technology Services, FSU’s Office of Research, the Florida Center for Library Automation and Kuali-OLE
- Work closely with other librarians to inform FSU faculty on scholarly communication and open access issues and facilitate effective solutions
- Provide strategic direction for the Libraries’ digital services including the website, institutional repository, e-resource provision, and related services
- Serve as FSU’s primary representative to a variety of technology-oriented organizations at the state, national, and international level
- Lead a Division of nine faculty and staff (Web Development, Systems, Electronic Resources Integration Management & Integrated Library Systems and Digital Scholarship)
- Serve on a variety of library, campus, and consortial committees and task forces
- Create an annual technology plan in conjunction with library managers and staff that addresses current needs, anticipates new technologies, and recommends new directions for the delivery of information resources to FSU’s constituent groups
- Manage an annual budget of approximately $650,000
- Masters degree from an ALA-accredited library program
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging trends related to digital library services, scholarly communication, content licensing, copyright, data and patron privacy protection
- Working knowledge of institutional repositories including applicable standards and intellectual property policies
- Experience with the concepts and software/hardware applications used in organizing and presenting digital information
- Excellent organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to handle complex analytical and detailed work
- Commitment to maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and cooperation conducive to job productivity and satisfaction
- A record of successful implementation and management of emerging technologies
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of information technology principles, processes, systems and standards, including system administration, major operating systems, system security, network administration, wireless networking, digital initiatives and/or web technologies
- Experience with Digital Commons, DigiTool or other digital content management systems.
- Applied knowledge of metadata or cataloging schemas, such as Dublin Core, XML, and MARC, as well as appropriate thesauri
- Significant experience working with institutional repositories
- Successful record of grant proposals
- Experience with assessment and program development
- Familiarity and experience with the management, development, creation, and preservation of scholarly output and digital collections
- Project management and systems management, analysis and design experience
This is a full-time, 12-month non-tenured faculty appointment. Benefits include 22 days vacation, 13
days sick leave, group medical, dental, and life insurance, an optional retirement program or state
retirement, and no state or local income tax. With Dean’s approval, may qualify for University tuition
scholarship for up to six hours credit each semester.
Located in beautiful Tallahassee, Florida’s capital city, a growing community with a population of more than 357,000, the Florida State University, a public, coeducational institution of the 11-member State University System of Florida, has an enrollment of over 40,000 students. The Library system includes ten libraries with combined volume holdings of over 3 million volumes. The Library is a member of ARL, ASERL, CRL, OCLC, and Lyrasis. For more information about the Florida State University Libraries, see our home page at: ://www.lib.fsu.edu/
Policia Clyne, PHR
Library Human Resources
Florida State University Libraries
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2047
Phone: (850) 645-8404
Fax: (850) 644-5016
How To Apply :
In one attachment, please include a cover letter with a complete statement of qualifications, a full
resume of education and relevant experience, and the names, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of at least three persons who are knowledgeable about your qualifications for this position.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include work history and all education details (if applicable) even if attaching a resume. If qualified and interested in the position as advertised, please apply through the Florida State University job site at https://jobs.fsu.edu
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action Employer