Please see the full posting here: https://ukjobs.uky.edu/postings/137680
Please note that the position requires a Master’s in Library and Information Science or equivalent degree. This was the requirement listed when I applied for and got a job as a librarian at UF–I have a PhD in English, and do not have a library degree.
UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY LIBRARIES
DIGITAL HUMANITIES LIBRARIAN
The University of Kentucky Libraries seeks a creative, collaborative, and experienced library professional with an ability to provide innovative services through the position of Digital Humanities Librarian. The successful candidate will serve as an academic liaison and support current and emerging methods of research and scholarly production in the humanities. The Digital Humanities Librarian will identify trends and activities in digital humanities on campus, provide digital scholarship support services, and promote UK Libraries’ commitment to the creation and dissemination of scholarship.
Reporting to the Director of Digital Scholarship, the Digital Humanities Librarian will explore and promote new models for digital publishing, participate in research data management initiatives, and serve as a resource person for scholarly communication issues. Responsibilities will include working collaboratively with colleagues throughout UK Libraries and the campus to advance the content development and management of UKnowledge (http://uknowledge.uky.edu), the university’s institutional repository. The Digital Humanities Librarian will develop and conduct workshops on digital scholarship resources, metrics, and best practices. The Digital Humanities Librarian will participate in outreach and campus engagement activities that build partnerships and cultivate relationships with key university units.
The Digital Humanities Librarian will provide subject-specific leadership for collection building and management, as well as promote library collections, programs, and services. As an academic liaison, the Digital Humanities Librarian will teach curriculum-integrated library instructional sessions and conduct in-depth research consultations in assigned subject areas. With a solid understanding of current research resources and technologies, the Digital Humanities Librarian will develop and maintain online research and course guides. Active engagement with faculty and students in assigned subject areas will be essential.
The Digital Humanities Librarian will participate in shared governance of the University of Kentucky by serving on library, departmental/college, and university committees as appropriate. The Digital Humanities Librarian will pursue scholarship, professional development, and service activities in order to meet requirements for tenure and promotion.
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent advanced degree
- Academic background in the humanities, arts, or related fields
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, interpersonal) and the ability to establish
strong rapport with multiple constituencies in order to effectively collaborate and build
- Demonstrated understanding of the current research, information resources, and scholarly
trends in humanities disciplines, including knowledge of emerging issues and
- Demonstrated experience with or knowledge of metadata creation and maintenance
- Demonstrated experience with technologies, metadata schemas, scripting languages, or
computational methods used in digital humanities projects
- Demonstrated experience with current issues in scholarly communication and research
- Proven ability to acquire new skills and adapt to changes in the profession
- Strong public service orientation
- Ability to meet the requirements of a tenure-track position through research, publication,
and/or professional engagement
Preference will be given to candidates with:
- Advanced degree in a humanities or arts discipline
- Minimum of two years of experience in an academic or research library, or in an academic or research environment
- Experience participating in collection development in an academic or research library
- Foreign language proficiency, especially French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, or Arabic
- Experience with providing information literacy instruction and research consultations in an academic/research library
Position is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track position.
The University of Kentucky is a public, land grant university of approximately 32,000 students, 3,500 faculty, and 15,000 staff dedicated to improving people’s lives through excellence in education, research and creative work, service, and health care. With over 200 academic programs across sixteen colleges and professional schools, the University plays a critical leadership role by promotion diversity, inclusion, economic development, and human well-being.
Located in the beautiful bluegrass region of central Kentucky, the University of Kentucky Libraries includes the main William T. Young Library, Medical Center Library, Special Collections Research Center, Agricultural Information Center, Fine Arts Library, Design Library, Education Library, Transportation Library, Lexmark Library, and Science & Engineering Library. Combined library holdings total more than four million volumes. The system has a faculty of 60 and a support and professional staff of 108. UK Libraries currently uses the Ex Libris Alma and Primo systems. UK Libraries memberships include the Association of Research Libraries, LYRASIS, ASERL, and the Center for Research Libraries. UK is a regional depository for government publications.
To apply, interested applicants must complete a UK Online Academic Profile at http://ukjobs.uky.edu/postings/137680 and attach two documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter
Please include contact information for three references when prompted in the application. This information may be utilized to solicit recommendation letters from your references within the employment system. If you have any questions, contact H/R employment, phone (859) 257- 9555, press 2.
The application deadline is April 15th, 2017.