The Metropolitan Museum of Art (“the Museum”) is a private, not-for-profit institution whose collections include more than two million works of art spanning 5,000 years of world culture, from prehistory to the present and from every part of the globe. The Museum’s activities include exhibitions, lectures, publications, concerts, and educational programs. The Museum funds its operations through a variety of means, including support from its long-term investment portfolio. The Museum’s long-term investment portfolio has a current value of approximately $2.5 billion, and is invested globally across a diverse mix of asset classes.
The Digital Media department is seeking an innovative and versatile Interactive Designer for a range of media solutions, including in-gallery interactives, digital signage, mobile applications, online publications, website features, and other digital resources. This hybrid designer will be an integral part of defining media project’s creative trajectory from early strategy to the development of visual, physical, motion, and interaction design all the way to implementation. Digital Media is a multi-disciplinary department that leads the creation, production, presentation and dissemination of multimedia to support the viewing and understanding of the Met’s collection and exhibitions, both in-gallery and online.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Plans and execute design concepts for a wide range of digital projects
- Coordinates document workflow among Digital Media staff and outside vendors
- Designs and prepares experience diagrams, interface concepts, site maps, design explorations, prototypes, and interactive design specifications for digital production
- Collaborates with developers to traffic designs for screen-based media
- Works closely with Digital Media staff, and stakeholders across the Museum such as educators, curators, and exhibition designers
- Contributes to the creation of a digital brand strategy
- Adheres to industry standards and internal style guidelines and practices
- Stays abreast of current technologies and design trends with an eye towards application in the museum environment
- Other related duties
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in interactive design
- Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to manage a variety of tasks with demanding deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-departmental and interdisciplinary teams
- Effective communication and organizational skills
Knowledge and Education:
- B.A. in design or related field, or equivalent work experience
- Strong knowledge of typography, branding and layout for web, mobile, application and the production methods associated with each
- Strong understanding of user interface, user experience and information architecture, as well as implementation and integration with front-end systems, and usability testing
- Proven understanding how innovative technologies, non-traditional interfaces, and physical space converge to immerse visitors in memorable experiences.
- Thorough knowledge of design, typography and color theory
- Understanding of cross-browser and cross-platform compatibility issues
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary history to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, marital status or domestic partner status, genetic information, genetic predisposition or carrier status, gender identity, HIV status, military status and any other category protected by law in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.